Friday, August 6, 2010

Christian Poetry by Mary Katherine May DROP GENTLE RAIN Deuteronomy 32:2

Drop, Gentle Rain
by Mary Katherine May.  6 August 2010
© 2010

Like drops that fall
In warm, summer rain
At dusky eve of day
I longed for your Word
To water my soul
Till refilled, restored, and full
Knowing my need
My Lord said to me
It is evening, take your rest

I laid His Word upon my heart
Drifting into sleep
Bible on my breast

He came in quiet night
Warm breath whispered
Feather light
Fanned Spirit Flame
Sparked to soft glow
His Word
Seed of Truth
Planted in me
Flowering as He spoke.


Let my Word drop from heaven
As the warm, summer rain
My speech distill as the dew
A gentle drop
On the tender herb and showers on the field.  ~
Deuteronomy 32:2

Sometimes God shows the way by guiding your decisions, or by the people around you. When God wants a person to move and that person is absolutely comfortatble where planted, there may be upheaval in the future. Think of Jonah. He didn't wan't to go to Ninevah. Think of Elijah, he didn't think himself capable. So it is with the poem. I don't have a pipeline to God that runs 24 hours a day with clear fuel.

As often in the late evening I do, I sat down at my piano. When I write music, the music usually comes to me first followed by the words. They slowly fade into my mind. At first, I can here sound but cannot make out the words.

This past evening was different. The words came, followed by the music. The music has to develop, but the words are a blessing. I wrote the opening and then did a word search through the Blue Letter Bible on "dew." There was the verse, Deuteronomy 32:2. The words are nearly identical to the ones I heard in the quiet of the night.

Amen.

Mary and Rick May own and operate Quality Music and Books out of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Followers